burnt-out apartment

Young couple is forced to live in their burnt-out apartment

PHOTO: Anstey Square went up in flames due to a faulty air conditioner in March 2017. It was coated in non-compliant combustible cladding, which saw the fire spread to another unit 

  • George Ojaimi and family have been waiting for their flat to be fixed since 2017
  • The family were forced to find  temporary housing which they now face losing
  • Apartment is in one of Australia’s most dangerous residential buildings 
  • Construction was approved on the principle that the cladding was compliant
  • Replacement cladding on entire building is expected to cost $3.5 million  

A young family face living on the streets after refusing to return to their gutted one-bedroom apartment that was destroyed more than three years ago by fire.

George Ojaimi and his wife Josiane’s dream apartment in Brunswick, Melbourne complex Anstey Square went up in flames due to a faulty air conditioner in March 2017.

The 105-apartment/retail complex had been wrapped in non-compliant combustible cladding, which saw the fire spread to another unit.

George Ojaimi and his wife Josiane's dream property at Brunswick apartment complex Anstey Square went up in flames due to a faulty air conditioner in March 2017. It remains a wreck

George Ojaimi and his wife Josiane’s dream property at Brunswick apartment complex Anstey Square went up in flames due to a faulty air conditioner in March 2017. It remains a wreck

The balcony of George Ojaimi and his wife Josiane's Brunswick apartment remains wrecked three years after it went up in flames

The balcony of George Ojaimi and his wife Josiane’s Brunswick apartment remains wrecked three years after it went up in flames

London’s Grenfell tower disaster, where 72 people died after fire rapidly spread through combustible cladding, forced the Victorian Government to commission a statewide audit that year.

A taskforce identified 432 extreme or high-risk buildings in need of repair, with Anstey Square identified as one of the top 15 worst in Victoria.

Mr Ojaimi told Daily Mail Australia that his apartment has remained in the exact same state of disrepair as the day of the fire.

READ MORE VIA THE DAILY MAIL

MOST POPULAR